Saturday 15 June 2013

Betti Baudelaire Boutique - a rather surreal two weeks


The above picture should explains why I've been so quiet on the blogging front for some time now.

Though my adoration of fashion remains untainted, my focus has shifted - entirely accidentally, you understand - from personal style to designing. No, I'm not quite sure what's going on either.

What I can tell you is that after my last brief, cryptic update about the possibility of me setting up shop, things cranked up a notch. Mama H and I set up our workstations in her back garden and spent five long days grafting to make my designs a reality. It only took 50 hours, reams of upcycled fabric and more than a few glasses of cider to create an 18 piece micro-range for the spectacular Dark Mavis stall at the Cardiff Fashion Quarter.

 Venetia A-Line upcycled skirt, size 8-10, £22

 Venetia upcycled circle skirt, size 12-14, £25

 Kinderwhore upcycled crop top, size 10, £18

 Venetia panel upcycled skirt, size 8-10 and 12-14, £22

 Petal party dress, size 10, £75

 Tartan shorts, size 12, £22

I even got my incredible friends Zoe, Celyn and Efa to model a couple of them for me! Unfortunately, my photographic skillz are nowhere near good enough to show the ladies and the clothes off in all their glory. Le sigh.
 
Tartan pinafore dress w/elasticated waist, size 10-14, £30

 Polka dot poplin skirt, size 10, £22

Mark threw a fantastic launch party down at the Fashion Quarter, where I got to rock a handmade jumpsuit and drink gallons of Babycham whilst surrounded by a bunch of my favourite people whilst Hoffman blasted some CHOOONS.


As you can see, things have kicked off massively in the last 12 days, and they took an even more exciting turn this afternoon. But that, friends, will have to wait for another day. MOAR ENIGMAZZ!!

Mama H and I are already working on the next load of designs, which will be hitting the stall when I return from my work experience at the hallowed NME offices (SO excited about this!!) Meanwhile, you can like the Facebook page here if the mood takes you, or pop down to the Fashion Quarter and throw eggs at my rail if you decide my clothes aren't to your tastes (note: please don't do this).

ALSO, as part of my 'friend's bands who really deserve your attention' series, let me introduce Efa Supertramp. Efa (who modelled some of the above clothes for me, FYI) is one of the most motivated people I know. Not content with merely setting up her own record label, underground club night, fanzine and Food Not Bombs group, she sings amazing acoustic political punk songs about freedom and TV-smashing in both English and Welsh. LISTEEEEENNNN. You won't regret it :)



Betti Baudelaire xxx

7 comments:

  1. Amazing! I actually LOVE the petal dress and the pinafore dress, congrats on your designs being such a hit! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cool! Ugh I love upcycled design. Congratulations on creating such fun pieces. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY SHITBALLS these are soooooooo good. I love that pale blue dress, it is beautiful! Send it my way THANKYOUUUU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou kindly! And I will happily send that dress your way when I see more of your ramblings - I miss yr bloggy face! xx

      Delete
  4. aw Bettie they're all so lovely! Give me your sewing skills misses! :P We'll deffo have to check out your little shop when we come down in the Summer! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thanks Soph! Yes definitely, are you still planning on coming in July?? I'm so excited to see you both! xxx

      Delete