Wednesday 28 November 2012

Puzzle pieces

Jacket - Big Girls Blouse vintage, blouse - charity shop, trousers - Next, tights - H&M, shoes - Primark.

Today has seen me cracking on with a bastarding International Media essay, so I decided to dress the part and put together a quintessentially British student look, replete with grey brogues, ankle socks and ankle grazing serious-person trousers.

It's been a while since I last dragged these items out from the darkest recesses of my wardrobe. There's a reason for that. You may have noticed that I haven't waffled on about any new purchases for a while. That would be because there have been none. Yep. NONE. Following the total buying frenzy (ahem) of September, where I picked up a pair of floral H&M trousers and two items in a charity shop, my 'average shopping expeditions per month' count has plummeted to zero. Ridiculous living costs, lack of any kind of job on the horizon and a reluctance to run to the bank of Mum and Dad unless I'm unable to buy food means that even charity shops are out of my reach. Whoever said that student life was all shits'n'giggles was a big fat liar. 


See that resigned stance just there ^? That's the look of a girl whose lofty dreams, like five fruit and veg servings a day and being able to buy new boots when the old ones are worn ragged, have come crashing cruelly down.



But hey, there is a spangly lining to this metaphorical cloud of cash-strapped misery. It's encouraged me once again to get creative with what I already have. For instance; this blazer. I mean, just look at the detail! LOOK AT IT! Doesn't it's pearlescent shimmer and white lace beguile you so? How about the fuzzy silver edging and the dangling crystal droplets, hmm? HMM? It's the space-age baroque chick jacket that dreams are actually weaved from. Why do I not wear this more often? Gosh, I'm a dolt.

Unfortunately it was too cold to actually wear this bombastic blazer outside for more than 10 minutes. My puckered, chapped flesh was crying out for mercy so I went inside and popped a cream, uber-fringed shrug on instead. It doesn't quite have the same dazzling effect, but it's shaggy and quirky enough to keep in step with the 'impoverished but vaguely style-conscious student' vibe I'm channeling.

Fringed cardigan - nabbed from the drawers of Mother Dearest.

Oh, and by the way. I know I'm going to be lambasted by a certain Zoe FJ Sutton again for looking utterly miserable in these photos, so here's a slice of informational pie which should go some way towards justifying my maudlin expression: I have now reached that point in my life where I have to utilise the 'Wrinkle Remover' tool on Picmonkey. Hello, mid-20's crisis!

For now, I'll have to content myself by watching the Wren Fall 2012 promo vid on repeat (which, six months on, I'm STILL obsessed with), dreaming of an aesthetically pleasing otherworld in which beautiful patterned dresses reign supreme, beehives don't get overly mussed by the wind, and where winter is about daintily stepping through leaf-strewn fields with nary a care for the extortionate cost of heating ones flat in December. Over and out.


Betti Baudelaire xxx

5 comments:

  1. ah betti my dear, I bloody love your writing style, you make me want to purchase a dictionary and learn new words to put into my blog.

    Ergh herm, I'd like to point out that today missus, you are the one with the frigging gorgeous floral item! where have you been hiding that shirt? and that blazer! It appears your wardrobe is Narnia.

    I think i need to put me on one of those shopping ban thingys, its been a while since I banned myself and actually used my money wisely, I'm sure i'd be a millionare if i didn't have a shopping addiction.

    Anyway, the hair is looking more and more
    amazing everytime i see it.

    P.S. I'm in love with your shoes.

    From Ginge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER COOL!!!!LOVE THE WHOLE LOOK FROM HEAD TO TOE!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH THANK YOU! I ALSO LOVE TALKING IN CAPS1 I think we are going to get on :) x

      Delete
  3. Wheeeee I love the way you write. Good luck with your essays! Essays are poopy. Also, THAT IS SOME SERIOUSLY AWESOME HAIRRRRR. Goodbye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thank you so much! I just checked out your blog, love it :) Will definitely be following x

    ReplyDelete